October 21, 2021

The Queens County Citizen

Complete Canadian News World

Megan Rapinoe and Alex Morgan said they would continue to fight

Megan Rapinoe slams US Soccer for 'blatant sexism'

Appearing on separate locations Monday on ABC’s “Good Morning America”, both called Friday’s decision “a surprise.”

“This decision is out of the field for us,” Morgan said. “I think for both sides it was unexpected, so we will definitely pull and move forward. If anyone knows anything about the heart of this team, we are fighters, and we will continue to fight together for this.”

US District Judge R. Gary Klausner in California wrote in his ruling that USWNT members did not prove wage discrimination based on the Equal Pay Act because the women’s team played more games and made more money than the men’s team.

The women’s team also rejected the collective bargaining agreement in which they would have the same salary structure as the men’s team that supports different CBAs, Klausner wrote.

CBA women guarantee that players will be compensated regardless of whether they play the match or not, while CBA men ask players to be paid if they are called to camp to play and then participate in the match, according to the court’s submission.

Klausner writes that women ask the court to conclude that women are paid less than men because if women are paid under a men’s CBA, they will get more than they do under their own CBA.

But, according to Rapinoe: “Men’s contracts were never offered to us.”

“If we are under a men’s contract, we will produce three times more,” Rapinoe told ABC.

“You can look at total compensation and say, ‘Oh, the women’s team made a little more.’ At that time we made a little more, we had won two World Cups and we had won almost every game we played, so the salary levels were very different, frustrating, to be honest, I think so many women passed this.

READ  Colin Kaepernick really should get an additional shot in the NFL
Joe Biden threatened to cut funding for the US Soccer World Cup unless women get the same fee

“When we went through our CBA, I think the judge in the court’s decision alluded to this, that now because the contract has been played, we only say that because we produce less, we want to go to the men’s contract.

“Men’s contracts were never offered to us and certainly not for the same amount of money, so to say we negotiated for our contract and that’s what we agreed on, I think so many women can understand what these feelings are when going to negotiations knowing the same fee isn’t on the table. Knowing someone close to your male counterpart isn’t even at the table. “

On Monday, the US Men’s National Team Players Association issued a statement on website shows support for members of the US Women’s National Team.

“The USMNT players continue to stand with the WNT players in their efforts to get the same pay,” the statement said. “For a year and a half the USMNT players have made proposals to the Federation that will achieve the same payment for USMNT and USWNT players. We understand the plans of the WNT players to appeal the decision last week and we support them.”

Claims by players of unequal work conditions based on travel conditions, specifically charter flights and hotel accommodation, and support services, especially medical support and training, can still be brought to court. The trial is scheduled for June 16.