A residence on River Road in Ottawa’s rural south end was closely ruined by fire Monday night after citizens lit candles through a ability outage.
Firefighters arrived on scene at 9:11 p.m. and located the waterfront residence in close proximity to the Ottawa Intercontinental Airport fully engulfed in flames, according to officers with the Ottawa Fire Providers (OFS).
Residents explained to firefighters candles they’d been applying during the power outage experienced fallen above and started out a hearth.
At the scene, the owner was visibly upset as she appeared for her three cats. She declined to communicate with CBC News.
The house’s handle matches a home at present detailed for sale on the net for $750,000. It is really described as a a person-and-a-50 %-storey, 3-bedroom waterfront residence.
Greg Hamre, the real estate agent responsible for the listing, mentioned the house’s proximity to the river created it a special locate. Thanks to updated zoning guidelines, houses in Ottawa can no for a longer time be developed so close to the drinking water.
He mentioned the residence experienced a unique style and design with an unobstructed see of the drinking water. Its proximity to the river proved fortunate for firefighters, far too, who were in a position to quickly obtain drinking water to douse the flames.
“It was a cedar construction, all wood. It failed to acquire extensive to ignite,” Hamre claimed.
All people who was in the dwelling at the time was equipped to get out properly right before crews arrived.
“As there are no hydrants nearby, firefighters pumped h2o from the nearby river and made use of tanker shuttles to bring h2o from a hydrant in the spot,” according to a assertion from OFS.
Thunderstorm, tornado warning
Before in the night, Ottawa was below a extreme thunderstorm and twister warning, and the storm remaining countless numbers of residents without energy.
Firefighters identified downed hydro wires blocking the accessibility highway to the residence when they arrived on scene.
“The wind was blowing the flames towards a neighbouring property which stood a few metres away to the north. Firefighters have extinguished the hearth and prevented the fire from producing severe damage to the neighbouring homes,” fire officials mentioned.
The Canadian Crimson Cross and the Salvation Military will give assistance to the people who were displaced.