Due to legal issues, Fortnight Knight fans using iPhones or other Apple products do not have access to the latest game updates
SAN FRANCISCO – Epic Games is trying to persuade the California court to take legal action again on the Apple App Store, court documents show that doing so is in the “public interest”.
If not, the game could face “irreparable damage,” company lawyers said in a new lawsuit filed Friday.
There is a war going on over whether Apple’s strict control over the App Store, and reducing its revenue by 30 percent, would be considered monopolistic behavior.
On August 13, Apple removed Fortnite from its online mobile app market after releasing an update that would reduce revenue sharing with the Epic iPhone maker.
A U.S. court last month rejected Epic’s attempt to put Fortnight back in the App Store, citing Apple’s removal as a “self-inflicted injury”.
“Over 116 million registered users have accessed Fortnite via iOS – more than any other platform,” Epic said in a new complaint.
“By removing many of these players from Fortnite and restricting Fortnite’s ability to access more than a billion iOS users, Apple will irreparably damage Epic’s chances,” it continues.
Daily active users have dropped more than 60 percent since Fortnight was eliminated, and Epic’s reputation has also been successful.
“Epic will never see these customers again,” the lawsuit said.
But it did not back down from its fight against Apple, claiming it was a “monopoly” by the tech giant.
Due to a series of legal issues, Fortnight Knight fans using iPhones or other Apple products do not have access to the latest game updates, including a new season released in late August.
Apple does not allow users of its popular devices to download apps from anywhere but its App Store.