President of the United States Donald Trump‘S website was “disabled” on Tuesday evening, one of his campaign spokesmen confirmed.
In a tweet after ET at 8pm, Trump’s campaign communications director Tim Murtag said the team was “working with law enforcement officials to investigate the source of the attack.”
“There is no exposure to sensitive data because none of it is actually stored on the site,” he wrote. “Website restored.”
A screenshot of the site tweeted by a journalist from The New York Times shows that it briefly displayed a warning that it had been “seized” because “the world has fake news that President Donald J. Trump spreads every day.”
It then displayed an error message that reads “This site is currently offline”.
The site was restored shortly after.
Trump called the US Covid-19 spike a media conspiracy
The breach comes a week before the U.S. presidential election.
Trump campaigned Tuesday in Michigan, Wisconsin and Nebraska.
In a tweet, Chris Krebs, director of the U.S. Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, said that “website defilements are noise.”
“Don’t fall for these attempts designed for distraction, sensation and confusion,” he writes. “Ultimately they are trying to undermine your confidence in our voting process.”
With a file from the Associated Press
© 2020 Global News, a division of Chorus Entertainment Inc.