(New York) Dominion Voting Systems on Friday sued Fox News for defamation for reporting conspiracy theories that the company’s machinery had acted harshly to keep Donald Trump in a negative position in the 2020 U.S. presidential election.
Dominion Voting Systems claims 6 1.6 billion from Conservative News Channel.
This is the second defamation complaint against Fox News, already in early February by another election machinery company, Smartmatic. Media mogul Rupert Murdoch has received $ 7.7 billion in complaints from the channel.
Dominion has previously sued Donald Trump’s lawyer and former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, and another lawyer on behalf of former U.S. President Sidney Powell for $ 1.3 billion.
In a 139-page Delaware High Court lawsuit filed Friday, the company accused Fox News of “repeating and spreading destructive, verifiable lies about the Dominion.”
To appease his pro-Trump audience frustrated with his defeat, he adds the complaint that “Fox turned a spark into a wildfire”, including channel presenters – Sean Hannity, Tucker Carlson, Lou Dobbs, Jeanine Piro and Maria Bartiromo.
Dominion is “entitled to receive punitive solutions” due to Fox’s “conscious desire to harm him.” “Lies can have consequences,” Stephen Shackford, one of the company’s lawyers, said in a statement.
The company reported a loss of more than $ 1.6 billion, including $ 1 billion in value loss, and $ 600 million in lost profits.
As with the complaint filed by Smartmatic, a spokesman for Fox News said, “In the great tradition of American journalism, we are proud of our coverage in the 2020 election, and we will strongly defend it in court against it.”
The channel claims to have aired an interview with Dominion spokesman Michael Steele in late November 2020, which explains how the electoral machinery works and dismisses all conspiracy theories of rigging as “physically impossible”.