The 20 municipalities belong primarily to the case groups at West, Port, Saint-Paul and Law Possession, and at Saint-Joseph to the south. To date, only serotype 1 has been found in confirmed cases.
Since the beginning of the year, 308 people have been cared for in the emergency room and 114 dengue-infected patients have been hospitalized, 19% of whom are in severe form (an increase compared to 2019 and 2020). Although rare, ophthalmologic manifestations (sudden and sometimes severe loss of vision) have been reported in some patients a week after the onset of the first symptoms of dengue. In this case, it is advisable to consult an ophthalmologist or go to the emergency room.
Prefecture and ARS remind the population of the importance of consulting a physician in limiting the spread of infection and preventing severe forms of the disease from having to be hospitalized, as soon as symptoms appear. Mosquito bites and removal are home breeding grounds.
Dengue fever condition as of March 31, 2021 (Data from the French Public Health Unit, ARS in the area)
From January 1, 2021:
2,648 cases were confirmed
308 Emergency Visits
Cases have been identified in 20 municipalities: Bras Panon, Saint-Paul, Saint-Andre, Trois Basins, Saint-Benoit, Saint-Leu, Saint-Rose, Le Tampon, Salazi, Saint-Philippe, Saint-Denis, El’Tong Sale, Saint-Penn. Mary, Petit Ile, St.-Suzanne, La Possession, Le Port, St.-Joseph, St. Louis, St.-Pierre.
· West: The number of cases registered in the Port Municipality continues to rise (55% reported). The number of cases continues to rise in Law Possession and Saint-Paul (11% reports). New groups of cases have been identified in Saint-Paul.
· South: After stabilization in St. Joseph, the number of cases is increasing again (5% of the total).
· North: Outbreaks appear to be exacerbated during this time in the districts of Brittany and Saint-Clotilde.
Only the plains des Palmistes and Silas municipalities did not report the case for 4 weeks in a row.
Cases of dengue (dengue foci) have been identified in the following areas:
Port . Low bleeding heart, Riviere des Gallets)
Ownership (Moulin Jolie, Saint Laurent, Ste Tharos, Cap Noir, Ravin Malhur)
St. Paul (La Plain, Jacquet, Powderier, La Bye, Bellemen, Tro D, La Saline les Bains, Lotis Bellevue, Florimont, Plateau Kilou
St. Joseph (Les Jacques, La Cayenne, Le Butter, Le Goaway, Carousel)
Tampon (Four hundred)
St. Pierre (Barracks)
St. Denis (Brittany (bottom), St. Clotilde)
Recommendations to fight dengue
Protect yourself and those around you from mosquito bites within 7 days of the onset of symptoms:
- Use of repellents,
- Installation of mosquito nets,
- Wearing long dresses,
- Use of diffusers.
Continue to protect yourself even if you have previously been ill with dengue; Many dengue serotypes can be transmitted and infection with one serotype does not protect against another serotype attack.
- Eliminate breeding grounds: Empty anything that has water around your home
- Consult a physician with symptoms (fever, headache, muscle / joint pain, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, etc.) and take a sample from your doctor-prescribed medical diagnostic laboratory to confirm the diagnosis of dengue fever.
Find all the news about Dengue Fever at Reunion on Facebook against Mosquitoes: https://www.facebook.com/Ensemblecontrelesmoustiques