(Halifax) Nova Scotia’s search is suspended indefinitely after a fishing boat sinks west of Cape Breton.
Authorities ended the search Sunday evening when one of the fishermen went missing. Elsipogtog First Nation reported hours earlier that two of the five crew members had died.
On Twitter, the Halifax Joint Rescue Coordination Center said the decision was made “based on search results over the past 25 hours.”
According to Lieutenant Commander Brian Owens, the chances of a fifth fisherman appearing alive are slim. Among other things, the authorities came to this decision because of “the time this person can spend in the water”.
The rescuers received an early distress call from FV Tyhawk at 5:45 pm on Saturday from Chaticamp. They would lose signal when the boat capsized.
Another local boat was able to help four crew.
Elsipogtag First Nation mourned the death of two fishermen on Facebook. The chief and council of the Swadeshi community did not reveal the identities of the victims or say whether the missing fisherman was one of them.
A spokesman for the Joint Rescue Coordination Center said a helicopter and a military plane had been sent to the sinking area after receiving a distress signal, but they were grounded due to weather conditions. Then, CCGS Cape Roger took the water.
On Sunday, Owens said the search would not resume unless new information was released.
The file is to be transferred to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
The story was produced with financial support from the Facebook stock exchanges and The Canadian Press for News.