(Toronto) Ontario announced a three-phase decontamination plan starting Thursday, June 14 and will develop based on the population’s vaccination rate and other indicators related to the COVID-19 epidemic.
The province announced it would open public leisure facilities by Saturday, but only under certain circumstances.
Several groups, including science advisers, have called for regulatory changes to allow for open activities.
The scientific director of the Government Expert Table said last week that outdoor activities such as golf, tennis and beach volleyball could allow the government to allow Antarians to participate in these sports again with less risk and additional indications. The dr However, Peter Juni said high-risk activities associated with many sports, such as carpooling or sharing a locker room, should be discouraged.
He told a news conference that the province could start reducing health measures as the infection rate of coronavirus decreases, the number of hospital admissions decreases and the vaccination rate increases.
The first phase of the decontamination plan should begin with the opening of some unwanted businesses in the week of June 14th, but respecting the 15% reception limit at maximum capacity. This first phase should also allow for open meetings for a maximum of ten people as well as the opening of restaurant terraces with a limit of four guests per table.
The second phase of the plan will limit public meetings and personal care salons and places of worship to a maximum of 25% with a reception capacity of 25 people.
The third step is to easily access indoor areas, under certain circumstances.
The government stipulates that each phase lasts at least 21 days and to move to the next phase, it is necessary to achieve the target in terms of vaccination rates, while at the same time keeping indicators of virus outbreak safe.
The third wave weakens
The announcement of this decontamination plan comes as new cases of COVID-19 are constantly declining in the hospital.
A total of 2,400 new COVID-19 cases and 27 deaths were reported in Ontario on Wednesday. Of these 2,400 new cases, 607 were in Toronto, 528 in its suburbs of Peel and 224 in Hamilton.
According to the Ministry of Health, 1,320 people were hospitalized with COVID-19, of whom 721 were in intensive care and 493 on ventilator. The government says it has delivered a total of 145,000 doses of the COVID-19 vaccine so far from Wednesday’s report, for a total of 7.5 million doses so far.
The deteriorating trend of new cases observed over three weeks in Ontario led the Ford government on Wednesday to allow hospitals to gradually resume selected surgeries and procedures postponed at the height of this third wave. Hospitals, however, asked Mr Ford to deconstruct regularly and carefully to prevent a fourth wave.
As of Wednesday, more than 7.4 million people in Ontario had received their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.