October 27, 2021

The Queens County Citizen

Complete Canadian News World

September 11: American authorities reopen sensitive file of classified documents

September 11: American authorities reopen sensitive file of classified documents

Washington | U.S. officials on Monday vowed to re-examine the September 11, 2001 attacks investigation documents, which can be categorized as a recurring request from some families, now accusing Joe Biden of failing to keep promises of transparency in the region. .

In a letter sent to judges in New York on Monday, the FBI explained that it had previously decided not to “re-examine” any sensitive documents. Appropriate to make public. “

Federal police added that “this information will be made public gradually and as soon as possible.”

This commitment by the FBI is part of a legal battle between the families of the September 11 victims against Saudi Arabia and other states. During these trials, successive American governments sought state secrecy to prevent the publication of certain documents.

President Joe Biden quickly announced in a statement that he “welcomed” the decision to reconsider the classification of certain documents.

“As I promised during my campaign, my administration is committed to ensuring the highest level of legal transparency and respecting strict rules for state privacy (under President Barack Obama),” he said.

The issue is sensitive, as the United States prepares to commemorate the twentieth anniversary of the World Trade Center’s twin towers and the Pentagon’s attack, including a ceremony in New York attended by Joe Biden.

Late last week, the families of the victims, survivors of the attacks and members of the rescue team published a letter informing the Democratic president that he would not be “welcome” at the ceremony if he did not “catch himself”. Promise “.

READ  North Korea | Senior officers fired after a "serious incident" linked to COVID-19

The letter called for the publication of all documents revealing Saudi Arabia’s involvement in the attacks, according to the signatories. The mail was signed by 1700 people, according to US media.

Monday’s announcement was welcomed with some skepticism.

“Unfortunately, we have already heard a lot of empty promises,” said Brett Eagleson, son of the victim and one of the spokesmen for the family. He said in a statement that authorities could expose them “immediately”.