The Admiral McDonald’s lawyers Following a military police investigation into allegations of misconduct, they issued a statement on Wednesday stating that their client had every intention of returning to his post.
Authorities decided last week not to lay any charges in the case, saying Admiral’s lawyers would acquit him of the charges and pave the way for his return to office.
Defense Minister Harjeet Sajjan, however, responded in a few hours that he hoped the Admiral would be on administrative leave and that the government was studying the situation.
However, as of Thursday, Minister Sajjan had indicated that Mr. McDonald was
Will be on administrative leave from today and until further notice. A senior government official said the statement followed a Cabinet decree.
Appointments to positions such as Chief of Defense Staff must be of the highest standards and our goal is to create a better working environment for women and men in the Canadian Armed Forces., Minister Sajjan said in a statement.
It is a place of work where complainants and survivors are treated with the utmost respect and every allegation is taken seriously.
M. McDonald A.
Temporarily abandoned His post of Chief of Staff was vacated on February 24 due to a military police investigation. Lieutenant-General Wayne Eyre was in acting position. Minister Sajjan said on Thursday that the lieutenant general would continue in the role of air acting.
Mr McDonald’s lawyer, Rory Fowler, declined to comment on the situation on Thursday.
More moral authority
The nature of the allegation against Admiral McDonald has not been publicly confirmed, but the CBC reports that it was linked to allegations of sexual misconduct during his tenure as commander of the Canadian military in 2010.
Global News reports that Navy Lieutenant Heather McDonald condemned Admiral McDonald. Global quoted Friday as saying she was upset with the military police’s decision not to make the allegations.
Many voices have been raised since then Asking the Liberal government not to re-appoint Mr. McDonald.
Some experts and lawyers for the victims have questioned the decision to hand over the investigation to the military police rather than civilian authorities. They believe that Mr. McDonald has no moral authority to lead the military toward cultural change to eliminate sexual misconduct.
Attorneys for Mr McDonald’s recalled on Wednesday that the former commander of the Royal Canadian Navy, who served as chief of staff for just five weeks, had always claimed his innocence. They said the admiral had successfully passed the polygraph test on past misconduct incidents, before being appointed chief of staff in January. They also recalled that he fully cooperated with the military police investigation.
Proponents of her case have been working to make the actual transcript of this statement available online.