Patio doors are very common options for many Canadians. And this is for a good reason. They not only improve the security, aesthetics and complement the exterior but also add value to your property and help to cut down on energy bills.
Our team has conducted extensive research and concluded that Ecoline Patio Doors are the best option when it comes to choosing a new door for your backyard. Interested why? Keep reading!
Why Sliding Patio Doors Are Popular in Canadian Homes?
While there are a lot of different options to choose for your backyard door, many Canadians prefer to buy and install sliding patio doors due to the following reasons:
- Space: Among various patio doors, sliding patio doors are the most space efficient. Also, these doors work on a sliding mechanism, allowing you to place furniture and decor without obstructing the entry.
- Function: Compared to the swinging and folding doors, sliding patio doors offer great functionality. They’re energy efficient and easy to use. Furthermore, these doors give your home additional aesthetics.
- Views: Sliding patio doors are designed with a huge glass area for unobstructed views outside.
What to Look Out for in Sliding Doors?
Whether you’re looking to do a remodeling job or upgrade your home’s look, patio doors have a significant impact on the interior and exterior of the home. Selecting a patio door for your living space may seem easy, but it’s quite tedious. To ease the stress, below are factors to consider when choosing sliding patio doors for your home.
- Energy efficiency
Experts from https://www.ecolinewindows.ca/window-styles/patio-doors/ claim that energy efficiency is a huge factor to consider when selecting a new patio door. Opt for a patio door with low-e glass, double or triple-pane glass for the best energy-efficient design. Low-emissivity glass (Low-e glass) prevents the penetration of ultraviolet and infrared rays. If you live in a cold region, you might want to choose a sliding patio door with triple-pane glass.
When choosing a new patio door for your home, the material you opt for is just as important as the style. Considering frames that require little or no maintenance would be a smart choice. While doors with fibreglass and wood frames are good options, a vinyl frame is a better option since it requires no maintenance, is energy-efficient, durable and comes with an affordable price. In addition, patio doors with vinyl frames resist peeling, corrosion and flaking.
Security is a major concern for many homeowners. To prevent break-ins and damage, you’ll need to prioritize safety and security. The sliding patio door has high-performance glass, multiple grille options, and a multi-point locking system for advanced security. With secured systems in place, you’re guaranteed peace of mind as you won’t have to worry about intruders invading your living space.
Sliding Patio vs. French Door – Which Door Style is Best for Your Home?
With a wide range of patio doors used in homes, Sliding patio and French doors are the most popular. These stunningly wide doors differ from each other. A major difference is how they open. While French doors open outwardly, the sliding patio opens horizontally. Both doors are energy-efficient, improve security, and are aesthetically appealing. You’re probably wondering which style would work best for your backyard? While these two doors are excellent choices, the one you opt for depends on your preference. Here are the pros and cons of sliding patios and French doors.
Why Canadian homeowners love sliding patio doors?
- Less space: Unlike French doors, sliding patios don’t use up much space. They don’t undergo swinging action; hence there’s enough space to place furniture and other decorative items.
- Affordable and convenient: Sliding patio is cost-efficient, convenient, and suits different climates.
- Lighting: With a huge glass area, sliding patio doors allow more light coming to your space.
- Versatility: Sliding doors come in various styles, colours, and materials.
Why sliding doors may not be a good choice
- Compromised security: Some locking systems and security bars may prove difficult, affecting the aesthetic design of sliding doors.
- Track: Dirt and debris may get trapped in between tracks of sliding doors. This can alter the smooth operation of the doors.
Why French doors are mostly preferred
- Versatility: Despite the design of your home, French doors are super traditional and march any style.
- Fine handles: Compared to sliding doors, French doors have prettier door handles. There are various options to choose from.
The drawbacks of French doors
- Space: These swinging doors occupy more space than its counterpart. Due to the opening outward, French doors will need more space to open.
- Cost: Typically, French doors are more expensive than sliding patios. This is due to more difficult installation and materials.
So, What to Choose?
While both door styles have their advantages and drawbacks, your choice is dependent on your preference, space, and functions. Sliding and French doors are great additions to any home. If you’re looking to save some space and add aesthetics, you can opt for a sliding patio door. Nevertheless, if you have enough space and prefer variety, French doors may be a better option. Regardless of your choice, you can never go wrong with any of the doors. Ensure you look out for features that appeal to you before making any buying decision. Consider the pros and cons of each as well.