The Legault government has called for vigilance as the first case of the Omicron variant has been discovered and 115 passengers are being held alone in Quebec, with the holidays approaching. While waiting to learn more about this new mutation of the coronavirus, Health Minister Christian Dubey asked people aged 70 and over to go and get their 3s.E Dosage and invites parents to continue the mass vaccination effort for children 5 to 11 years.
“Not before December 6” for the holiday plan
Public Health will have until Dec. 6 – next Monday to find out if any relaxations in health rules are allowed during the holiday season.
At a press briefing, the National Director of Public Health, Horacio Arruda, explained that the date was circled in his calendar before the new variant was invented.
At this time, private meetings, at home or in the chalet, are limited to 10 people. Receptions in public places are limited to a maximum of 25 people, with the exception of restaurants where group dinners are limited to 10 people per table.
A confirmed case, supervised by 115 passengers
In addition to the first case of the Omicron variant certified in Quebec, 115 travelers returning from seven South African countries targeting Ottawa were approached to perform a new screening test and to isolate themselves.
On Monday morning, Ontario announced that two Ottawa residents infected with the new variant had passed through Montreal on their way back from travel.
“The federal government has tightened measures very quickly for travelers,” said Health Minister Christian Dubey.
“Wherever you travel, you have to be careful,” he stressed, adding that the list of countries targeted by the federal government is growing.
- Listen to an interview with Andre Willett, an immunology researcher at the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Montreal:
One-third of those aged 5 to 11 will be vaccinated soon
Nearly a third of children between the ages of 5 and 11 have already received or are about to receive their first pediatric dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, which is “good news,” said Minister Dubey.
As of Monday, 69,889 young people had been vaccinated, while 136,264 others were waiting for their appointment or had more than 200,000 children in total.
Mr Dubey expects that number to rise due to the school vaccination, which began Monday.
For those who are still hesitant, the minister felt that the arrival of the new variant would be another reason to adequately protect themselves. The vast majority of new cases of Kovid-19 were found in the non-vaccinated group, with about one-third being between 5 and 11 years of age.
Accelerator on the 3rdE Dosage
The health minister hopes to receive a new opinion soon from the Committee on Quebec Immunization on the third dose of the vaccine for health workers and those with a chronic illness.
The CIQ is meeting today to discuss this. To date, only a third of people aged 70 and over have received a booster dose.
“It simply came to our notice then. […] Get your 3E Dosage, ”Minister Dubey stressed. This is especially true for the most vulnerable, such as those living in dwellings. “This is where we don’t want it to start again, just the appearance of the outbreak,” he said.
10 million rapid tests
Quebec has asked the federal government to provide 10 million rapid tests, with the goal of expanding their use to the population, especially in daycare centers.
“For example, I think part of daycare services is because our toddlers under the age of 5 are not vaccinated,” Minister Dubey said.
The health minister believes that one way people can learn to “live with the virus” is to use rapid tests that they can do on their own.
At the very least it’s the direction he wants to take, after which the rapid tests in front of the screening center act as the “first filter”.
– In collaboration with Oliver Foucher, The Journal of Montreal