July 4, 2022

The Queens County Citizen

Complete Canadian News World

BEI has launched another trial in Quebec

BEI has launched another trial in Quebec

The Bureau of Independent Investigations (BEI) on Tuesday launched a new investigation into police intervention in Quebec, during which a 50-year-old man was seriously injured last summer.

Also read – Strong interventions in Quebec: The agent is suspected of committing criminal acts

The alleged facts date back to 10pm on July 31, 2021. Preliminary information indicates that a man on Cartier Street called 911 to report that he was asking passersby to contact emergency services for fear of his safety.

“A first police officer from SPVQ reached the site and got into a physical altercation with the suspect. A 50-year-old man was reportedly seriously injured in the altercation. He was rushed to a hospital where he received appropriate care,” BEI said in a press release.

Not the same police

According to our information, although alarming, the case is different from the four strong police interventions that took place this fall and has confused the Quebec City (SPVQ) Police Department in recent days.

In addition, the district was not one of the police officers suspected of committing criminal offenses during the controversial interventions that drew attention in St. Joseph and Grande Alley.

Recall that on Monday, the BEI received an order from the Office of the Minister of Public Safety Genevieve Gilbolt to shed light on these two allegations.

Instead, the new independent investigation announced Tuesday comes from a report from citizen Bob Welch.

Serious injuries

In an interview with NewspaperMr. Welch said he felt insecure after receiving a suspicious call to his home. He stated that he lived in fear that the man who brutally assaulted him in his apartment a year and a half ago would try to find him.

According to his account, a police officer jumped on him and knocked him down, although he called for help. He said the ribs were broken and the lungs were punctured. According to him, if he could appear passionate, he would be in a state of “great fear”.

The BEI was able to confirm that police intervention had taken place on July 31 and based on the medical reports it concluded that the injuries sustained by the man were serious enough to fall under his command. No video of the scene has been released so far.

“Why did he bring me down?” He asks his part, believing that the force exerted is unequal.

SPVQ declined to comment as an independent investigation is ongoing.

– In collaboration By Jeremy Bernier

See also