Hockey Quebec decided on Tuesday to suspend all institutional play until at least January 9, even though the federation has not been forced by government sanctions currently in place.
Also read: The NHL is still at a standstill
“It’s great to have the opportunity to play games, but with the situation [de la COVID-19] In Quebec, I think our board of directors made the right decision, ”CEO Joslyn Thibault told a news conference on Tuesday.
It is not yet known whether these matches will be postponed or canceled. It will depend on how the health condition improves in the coming weeks, Hockey Quebec said.
Will there be any more changes?
According to directives issued by the government on Thursday, it is possible for hockey Quebecs to host matches, but not tournaments.
Last week some tournament organizers decided to cancel their event due to take place in early January. This is especially true of the 48th P-V Tournament (U13) in Saint-Hyacinth, where 86 teams will play from January 6 to 16.
In Quebec, the management of the International P-We Hockey Tournament is studying the possibility of postponing the event, scheduled for February 9 to 20, to May 2022. Newspaper.
“It is difficult to say now whether the tournaments scheduled for the end of January will also be canceled,” Mr Thibault lamented.
Some COVID-19 outbreaks have been reported as a result of games or training this fall, but he says he is “very satisfied” with the way GM structures as a whole have limited outreach.
Training is still allowed, Thibault said,
However, clubs that adhere to it are required to comply with public health regulations.
This way, a maximum of 25 participants – including players and coaches – can be on the rink at the same time. On the bench, a distance of two meters must be respected and the changing rooms should not occupy more than 50% of their capacity.
Sessions are held behind closed doors, but each player may accompany the vaccinated parent twice.