Although the number of hospital admissions has increased in two weeks, public health will not extend the mandatory wearing of masks after May 1 unless the virus decides otherwise.
“That’s not really the intention,” said Acting National Public Health Director Dr.R Luc Boileau, presenting an update on the pandemic on Friday.
- Listen to Benoit Deutrizak’s interview with Benoit Morin, President of the Quebec Association of Proprietary Pharmacists on QUB Radio:
“The weather can also help, so we don’t expect it to continue in May,” he said.
At this point, “the experts are unanimous”, dR Boyleau. “The growth trend is likely to continue for another two weeks,” he warned.
Although there is some stabilization in Gaspésie, Îles-de-la-Madeleine and Côte-Nord, Sagene-Lock-Saint-Jean, Boss-Saint-Laurent, Capitale-National, Chowder-Appalaches, Maurice and Center-du-Quebec.
In the Greater Montreal and Estri regions, as so far little affected, vigilance is needed everywhere.
13,000 were absent
In the last 24 hours, more than 3,500 new cases have been reported (although access to PCR tests has been restricted) and nearly 50 Kovid patients have been added to the hospital admission toll.
In the health and social services network, more than 13,000 workers are absent (as in January), which increases the risk of surgical delays and service interruptions.
“Although Quebec has begun to return to a more normal life in recent weeks, the situation is fragile, d.R Boyleau. We must not forget that there is still a lot of virus and the epidemic is not over yet. ⁇
Photo Archives, Joel Leme
The masked man was walking on a sidewalk in Montreal in March 2021.
As the long Easter holiday approaches next week, Public Health’s Big Boss invites cubers to exercise “extreme caution”, especially by remembering that a person infected with the virus can be infected for ten days.
In this context dR Boyleau said he would not be surprised if other provinces or states followed suit, saying it would be less bad to extend the mandatory wearing of masks in public places until the end of April.
Once this last census is lifted, public health will be committed to “encouraging people to behave responsibly.”
Other actions are not in sight
Whatever happens, the possibility of adding new actions is always excluded.
“We have no projection of hospitalization rates being higher than the number of hospital admissions we experienced in January,” D reported.R Boyleau.
“The intention is really to get back to the normal situation as possible, but we will not decide it, he recalled. It determines that it is an epidemic that is the responsibility of everyone, of all citizens.”