July 6, 2022

The Queens County Citizen

Complete Canadian News World

Increased fires caused by electronic devices

Increased fires caused by electronic devices

Firefighters are dealing with a significant increase in the number of fires caused by overheating of electronic equipment.

In an interview with TVA Nouvelles, a spokeswoman for the Quebec Fire Protection Service, Jean-Franకోois Diegel, described a fire that broke out in Limoilou last summer and was caused by an electronic device. 15 people were evacuated from their homes.

“It has a battery inside the electronic devices, which is due to the lithium battery,” Mr. Diegel explained.

Such fires can be caused by scooters, bicycles, electric scooters, smart phones, tablets or laptops. These are devices powered by lithium-ion batteries.

“These are generally harmless devices in the state of adoption. According to the clothing we make, the handling we do, they represent hazards, “said Louis Desrosier, a spokesman for the Montreal Fire Department.

To protect yourself from fire, you must remain the same while recharging the device and respect the maximum time allowed to recharge. It is also important to protect the battery from potential heat sources and read the manufacturer’s instructions.

“It’s important to make sure you understand these tools and how to use them,” she said. Said Desrociers.

In the case of electric bicycles or scooters, it is recommended to use an original charger. When it comes to electric vehicles, fortunately fires do not happen often.

“We’re talking about a 0.03% chance that the electric vehicle will have a problem with the battery and that it will burn 3% for gasoline – based vehicles,” said Simon-Pierre, president of Quebec’s Electric Vehicles Association. Reox.

To see the full report, watch the video above.

READ  Special $ 20 million bonus for Air Canada executives