Twelve children were given a floor sealer instead of milk during lunch at an Alaska Day camp on Tuesday.
The Juneau School District Board of Education said in a statement on its website that the chain of events led to the mistake of making 12 children and two adults ill.
Fourteen people allegedly took the Seal 341 floor sealer up to 90ml.
People who eat the product have headaches, nausea and inflammation in the mouth and throat.
However there is no danger to their lives.
According to the school board’s preliminary investigation, four pallets of shelf-stable milk and sealant pallets were mistakenly delivered to JSD Food Warehouse in the spring of 2021.
This warehouse is usually set aside for food only.
Sealants were not used until this week until the milk ran out in the food service serving meals to the youth camps.
The food service, NMS, sent an employee to the warehouse to pick up some.
On the morning of June 14, three boxes of floor sealer were seized from the warehouse, according to a school board statement.
One was delivered to the Day Camp Food Manager at Sit Eti Shanax Glacier Valley Elementary School, where sealant was provided instead of milk.
The other two boxes were sent to other schools but never opened.
An investigation into the incident is ongoing.