Thousands of largely peaceful protests continue throughout Southern California over the death of George Floyd, but the National Guard is withdrawing from the Los Angeles area, according to a statement Sunday.
The evacuation could be completed by Sunday The Los Angeles Times reports, Citing sources – but another source said in the paper that a small number would be behind to secure some key sites.
Mayor Eric Garcetti called the police on May 30, initially claiming that peaceful protests were distributed in many places as looting, vandalism and arson.
Thousands have been arrested for curfew violations. Since then, the incidence of criminal behavior has dropped significantly.
The curfew was lifted after the US Civil Liberties Union sued Los Angeles and the county last Thursday, saying they had violated people’s constitutional rights to free expression.
There were more than 1,000 police officers in the Los Angeles area, the report said – not seen since the 1992 riot that left black policeman Rodney King beating four police officers.
President Trump said Sunday that he is starting to withdraw the National Guard from Washington, DC.
He posted on Twitter: “I have issued an order to our National Guard to begin the process of withdrawal from Washington, DC. Now everything is in full control.