CTV News Toronto learned that the Ford government will hold a virtual cabinet meeting today to discuss what to do with the revised Stage 2 sanctions in the Peel Region, which are due to be lifted at midnight.
Government sources told the Network that Premier Doug Ford’s cabinet members would discuss whether to impose sanctions on Peel altogether or single out Brampton, where two – thirds of cases in the region are in the group.
The conference comes two days after Ford announced a new color-coded system for COVID-19 restrictions and said it would move to the Orange division in Peel, York and Ottawa this weekend, to reopen dining services for restaurants and bars and to reopen gyms, casinos and cinemas.
The news was welcomed by politicians such as Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown and Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie, who urged that Stage 2 restrictions not be extended for the initial 28 days.
However, some public health experts quickly criticized it, calling it “hasty” and “short-sighted.”
At that time the Peel Region was reporting new cases of COVID-19 on a per capita basis than other parts of Ontario and the situation has deteriorated further since then.
In fact, Peel reported 117 infections for every 100,000 residents in the previous seven days. This is more than 100 per capita transmission per benchmark, which is one of the provinces indicators to turn areas into a red category, which is more closely similar to the revised version of Stage 2.
According to CTV News Toronto, today’s cabinet meeting wrote a letter to Dr. Lawrence Loh, Peel’s medical officer, requesting that the area be kept for another week in the revised version of Stage 2. Compatibility rate.
It arrives just before 1pm as Ford is doing in Ottawa.
“I have to be clear. All of our metrics are heading in the wrong direction. Peel is seeing the highest number of cases and positives in the province with localized operations in Brampton and Peel Public Health is still being challenged in consultation to determine our potential, ”Loh told reporters earlier this week.
Ford Health Minister Christine Elliott and Finance Minister Rod Phillips will attend today’s announcement at the Ottawa Civic Hospital.
The Ford government plans to announce where each of the 34 public health areas in the province will fall at some point in the five-tiered phase of COVID-19 restrictions.
Earlier this week, the government proposed to place the Peel Region, York Region, Ottawa and the Eastern Ontario Health Unit (Cornwall and surrounding area) at the third most important level considered “limited” on November 7.
Toronto will not join these four areas until at least November 14, meaning indoor dining and gyms will be closed for another week.
The province proposes to include the Brant County Health Unit, the Hamilton, Durham Region and the Halton Region in the fourth toughest category of what it considers to be “protect”.
A total of 25 other public health areas in the province are placed in the lowest-serious category of “prevent”.
CP24.com will broadcast the announcement live at 1 p.m.
With files from Colin de Mello of CTV Toronto