(Minneapolis) A former Minneapolis police officer charged with the death of George Floyd on Wednesday thanked two judges assigned to the trial, fearing they would be embarrassed by City’s announcement of a $ 27 million deal with Floyd’s family.
Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill recalled seven judges before the settlement was announced outside the court last week and asked if everyone knew what they knew about the settlement and whether it would affect his service efficiency. Eric Nelson, a lawyer for former police officer Derek Chowdhury, called for the judges to be recalled.
The withdrawal of just two judges indicates that the effect of the settlement on the jury panel was less than feared, reducing the chances of the judge granting a defense request to delay the trial.
“There is extensive media coverage of the developments in the civil litigation between the city of Minneapolis and the George Floyd family,” he said, adding that judges were careful to ask lawyers without giving only details. And asking if they disclosed it.
The magistrate upheld the appointment of five other judges, including a black man in his thirties, who told Cahill he heard about the settlement on the radio on Friday night, but that could be set aside and the case decided only on the basis of the case. Evidence submitted in the courtroom.
Jury selection went faster than expected, and early requests were tentatively postponed to March 29, but two withdrawals put that start date at risk. Nine were selected to the jury before shelving on Wednesday; 14 required.
Derek Chauin was charged with murder and manslaughter in the May 25 death of George Floyd; White police rested his knee on Mr. Floyd’s neck for nine minutes.
The judge said he would rule over Mr.E To adjourn or move the Nelson trial and another to accept evidence related to George Floyd’s arrest in Minneapolis in 2019.