SAGUENAY | La bye landslide victims are entitled to a substantial increase in financial compensation and most of them will be able to return to their homes within two to four months, Francois Legalt announced during a visit on Wednesday.
76 houses or 187 civilians were evacuated due to landslides and land instability. Five houses will have to be demolished and the fate of another four is still uncertain.
But residents of the other 67 residences could return home within “two to four months”.
“Work is done on earth […] But if it is not completely safe, we can assure you that we will not be able to return people home, “said Mr. Legalt, acknowledging that the wait was” tough “.
Owners of demolished homes can receive a maximum of $ 375,000 in compensation for rebuilding. The limit was previously $ 260,000. Furniture will also be refunded.
- Listen to an interview with Jeff McLean, Sagune Emergency Operations Coordinator Carol Girard, who evacuated La Bye resident, at Alexandre Dube’s microphone on QUB Radio:
In the case of a daily allowance, it doubles from $ 20 to $ 40 per day.
The city of Sagune on Tuesday indicated that the goal is to find temporary accommodation for all those currently staying at the hotel over the weekend.
“I want to reassure the people. We will at least take care of the financial part,” the prime minister said.
Photo by QMI Agency, Roger Gagnon
Franకోois Legalt was in La Bye on Wednesday, where he met with landslide victims and told them some could return to their homes.
Mr Legalt spoke with Erica Brissen and Charles-David Brison, owners of the house, which slipped on June 13.
“Bravo for your toughness, we are with you, courage,” Mr. Legalt told them at the end of their conversation before speaking to members of the Red Cross.
“It’s great,” Ms. Simard, a mother of five children aged 1 to 10, said in a statement. Currently the whole family stays with the parents.
“It’s a lot better than we’ve had before. We just spent $ 60,000 to $ 70,000 on materials for the restoration,” Mr Brison added, adding that he wanted the family to be in La Bye.
“We’ll stop crying,” Denise Lessard admitted, adding that she was likely to return to her home.
Marius Harvey, a neighbor of the house that had fallen and had been “vacated since April 26,” was able to speak to the Prime Minister.
“It simply came to our notice then Plaster On the big ulcer, “the 74-year-old man, the house where he lived for 48 years will be demolished.