July 20, 2024

The Queens County Citizen

Complete Canadian News World

Bad crops: Farmers again call on Govt

Bad crops: Farmers again call on Govt

Two months after hundreds of horticultural producers asked the provincial government to provide emergency financial assistance to compensate for the devastating crops, many farmers are once again calling on politicians.

• Also Read: Agony among farmers: “If there is no rank-and-file worker, I will burn my farm”

• Also Read: “It’s hell”: Farmers are at the end of their rope after a disastrous season

• Also Read: “Extreme weather events”: Horticultural producers request emergency assistance

Along with devastating weather for crops this summer with record rainfall in some areas, producers must adapt to new standards to protect inflation and the environment.

Many farmers fear the next generation in the sector, as rising costs make it difficult for new producers trying to enter the sector.

That is why Union of Agricultural Producers (UPA) once again requested help from the provincial government.

“When I saw what happened last week with the battery sector, we are going to blow up BAPE for the company that is going to come and set up and for example, a project for 2500 seeds if we want to produce a pork, it must pass to BAPE, I apologize, but now our minister Lamontagne is in the fight for us. Alone and began to want to know nothing more about Mr. Legault and Mr. Fitzgibbon Agriculture », said Yves Laurencelle, president of the Capitale-Nationale-Côte-Nord UPA.

For its part, the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food indicates in an email sent to TVA Nouvelles that this means that it is put in place to support producers’ liquidity.

READ  Bay Laurier departs from Quebec

“In May, the Financière agricole du Québec announced the establishment of a $50,000 working capital loan guarantee without repayment of principal and interest for the first 3 years, we suggest. A special committee was also formed to identify possible solutions to support producers affected by the severe weather.

“Several adjustments have already been made to take into account the summer of 2023,” we add. We will continue to improve the programs. “

In a press release published on Thursday, the UPA acknowledged that the government has worked, but according to the organization, the assistance is not enough.

“The Quebec government has taken concrete measures in response to this exact storm,” it said. But it is already clear that additional measures will have to be taken.

Watch the full explanation in the video above

About The Author